Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Post traumatic stress disorder is considered to be among the most emotionally debilitating mental disorders. After an individual has witnessed or been involved in a traumatic event, whether physical or psychological, they experience a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. PTSD causes intense anxiety, nightmarish flashbacks, and intrusive memories that interfere with daily life.
Much like substance abuse, PTSD causes changes in the brain chemistry. Following a traumatic event, the brain will produce less endorphins, one of the chemicals that helps us feel happy, causing individuals to turn to drugs or alcohol.
Many individuals suffering from post traumatic stress disorder will turn to alcohol or drugs as a way to cope with the pain. Individuals suffering from PTSD are more prone to experiencing violent outbursts and panic attacks, which can be difficult for family and friends to witness. Chronic substance abuse diagnosed with PTSD creates a complicated dual diagnosis for a patient. Recovery from a dual diagnosis requires specialized knowledge and treatment.
Some of the most common causes of PTSD include:
- Sexual or physical assault
- Military combat
- Violent assault
- Childhood abuse
- Natural disasters
- Acts of terrorism
- Death of a loved one
- Serious accidents
At Silicon Beach Outpatient Center, we have more than 30 years of experience in premier substance abuse treatment. We specialize in intensive outpatient (IOP) treatment for adults with substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment. We address the psychological, emotional, and behavioral components of addiction while simultaneously treating their underlying traumas and co-occurring disorders to achieve long-term sobriety.
Services provided at Silicon Beach Outpatient Center include:
- Individualized support
- Working closely with our clinical team, the client, family, and peers to share information, provide observations, and implement suggestions.
- Help clients to establish a healthy routine incorporating relaxation, exercise, and attending alternative recovery groups.
- Assistance building self-esteem and establishing passions in life while becoming a thriving member of the community.
- Conducting weekly and monthly reviews with clients to address personal issues, and implement an action plan accordingly.
For more information about dual diagnosis treatment of post traumatic stress disorder and substance addiction at Silicon Beach Outpatient Center, call us today at 310.846.8215.